Holiday Pet Safety Tips

The holiday season is upon us with lots of good food, fancy decorations and visitors.  Here are some tips to help keep your furry companions safe!


  • Many snow globes contain ethylene glycol which is poisonous to pets.  If pets lick the fluid from a broken snow globe it can quickly lead to severe illness and death.  
  • Water additives to extend the life of your Christmas tree can be toxic to pets.  If you use these cover the tree base with tinfoil to keep pets away.
  • Tinsel and ribbons are hard for cats (and some dogs!) to resist.  They can cause gastric problems including obstructions if swallowed.
  • Keep food gifts or other fragment presents out from under the tree if you don’t want Fido to open them early!
  • Many holiday plants are poisonous or toxic to pets so be aware or limit to locations out of reach for pets.  These include:
    • Mistletoe
    • Holly
    • Christmas Cactus
    • Poinsettias – mildly toxic and can cause drooling, gastric upset and/or diarrhea but not usually fatal!


  • If your pet is not a social butterfly have a safe, quiet room they can escape to.  Be sure to have some of their favorite toys, snacks or chews and water available.
  • Watch out for door darters!  Take extra precautions with pets; consider leashing your pups or keeping felines in a closed room.  


The following are some foods that can be harmful for pets.

  • Bones – can splinter and cause serious health issues for your pet! 
  • Chocolate
  • Alcohol 
  • Grapes and raisins
  • Macadamia nuts 
  • Garlic, Onions or Chives 
  • Xylitol also on  labels as Birch Sugar

If your pet ingests these items call your vet or the Poison Control Helpline below and follow their recommendation!

 Pet Poison Helpline at 1- 800 – 213 – 6680

Posted in

Lynne Bengston

Leave a Comment